How to create great curls with out using heat for all hair types!!
Everyone wants to be able to style their hair with out the use of heat. Its no secret that heat can damage hair and can be crucial to already damaged hair. Cutting heat out of your daily hair regime will help you to keep the condition better for longer!
So I bet your all thinking how will I get curls with out the use of heat so I am going to give you 5 great heatless methods that can be used on all hair types to create different curls.
1. Lets take it back, wayyy back! No just kidding but if we go back to the days when straighteners and curlers was not around people used to use a method called RAGGING. You would cut up a old towel or piece of clothing into strips of material. Dampened hair would be sectioned and starting from the bottom of each section start to curl the rag up towards the scalp and tie at the top. Repeat this until all the hair is in rags. Leave to dry for a little while, I would say around a hour. Gently unravel your rags and you should be left with beautiful spiral curls! Pull the curls out slightly to give a softer feel and finish with some hair spray for hold.
2. Another great way to create curly hair is to use the old style BENDY ROLLERS! Again this method is really simple and very effective! To create a softer look section your hair into around 8 sections, 2 at the bottom or your nape, 4 in the middle section and 2 on top of your head. Dampen each section before getting your bendy roller and starting from the bottom roll it up your hair to your scalp and twist the roller to secure. Continue to do this until all your hair is in rollers. Be sure to leave them to dry enough and then test 1 to make sure its curly enough. When you are happy with the result take them all down and apply a spritz of hairspray. Never leave them on for ages as this could result in very tight short curls! Trust me my sister tried sleeping in them over night and in the morning her hair which is usually to the bottom of her back was so tightly curled it just sat at her ears!! This method will leave you with beautifully controlled curls.
3. If you have a shorter bob style hair and you are wanting a soft loose curl with volume always opt for the VELCROW ROLLERS! I absolutely love the effect these have on your hair. So to create a volumizing soft look, wash your hair and towel dry apply a small amount of mouse or setting spray into your hair for hold. Allow your hair to dry to at least 70-80%. Section your hair in to small sections. From the bottom of your hair roll the Velcro roller up to your scalp and it should just sit nicely providing the stick is still in tact. Repeat this method all the way up your head. I always suggest when you get to the top and sides do your parting section back wards to create lift and your sides downward. Leave these to dry as long as you like but be sure their completely dry before taking them out. Once their all out control your hair by running your fingers through to get it into the shape you desire and add a spritz of hairspray to hold!
4. Everyone knows that if you want effortless waves the best way to create them with out heat is to BRAID your hair. This method always has a better effect when you do it the night before. So before bed wash your hair and towel dry. Give it a good comb to ensure all knots are out before sectioning. For a looser curl section your hair into 2 straight down the middle and do a scalp plait on both sides, secure with elastic bands and sleep on it. If you want more of a tighter wave then section your hair in to 4 equal sections, straight down the middle of your head and straight down the middle of both sections. Apply 4 scalp plaits and secure. In the morning when you wake up your hair should be completely dry. After getting ready take out your hair very gently to make sure you don’t end up in a frizzy mess! Give your head a little shake to separate all the hair from the sectioning, add a little hairspray and you will be good to go!
5. My last method to create curls without the use of heat is to use TOP KNOTS AKA BANTU KNOTS. This way is pretty simple to do. So again with dampened hair section your hair in to 8 sections or 4 depending on how tight you want your curls. Get your first section and twist the hair tightly and then wrap it up into a bump. Secure with a bobby pin or a bobble. Continue to do this to all your sections. When your hair is dry untwist all the sections and give your head a good shake. This should create beautiful big hair with plenty of curl.
I hope you all learnt new ways of curling your hair with out using heat. Give the methods a try and leave some feedback to let us know how you got on.
(All photos used are from google images & Pinterest)